Information on the Implementation of the Tax Free System in the RF
Dear guests of the Russian Federation,
Since April 2018, the value-added tax refund system (Tax Free System) has been launched in the Russian Federation.
To be eligible for a VAT refund, you must be a citizen of a foreign country outside of the Eurasian Economic Union (EEU – the Kyrgyz Republic, the Republic of Armenia, the Republic of Belarus, the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Russian Federation).
To receive a tax-free service, you should purchase goods for no less than 10,000 roubles (___ in national currency), tax included, from a single retailer during one day at retailer locations approved by the Government of the Russian Federation. Certain retailers provide VAT refund services in the following cities:
- Saransk (the Republic of Mordovia);
- Kazan (the Republic of Tatarstan);
- Sochi (Krasnodar Krai);
- Volgograd (Volgograd Oblast);
- Kaliningrad (Kaliningrad Oblast);
- Krasnogorsk (Moscow Oblast);
- Nizhny Novgorod (Nizhny Novgorod Oblast);
- Rostov-on-Don (Rostov-on-Don Oblast);
- Samara (Samara Oblast);
- Ekaterinburg (Sverdlovsk Oblast);
- Saint Petersburg.
VAT refund is not applicable to excise goods, including alcohol and tobacco.
To receive a refund, export your purchased goods through border crossings approved by the Government of the Russian Federation.
I. Road border crossings
II. Air border crossings
- Vladivostok (Knevichy Airport)
- Volgograd (Gumrak Airport)
- Ekaterinburg (Koltsovo Airport)
- Kaliningrad (Khrabrovo Airport)
- Moscow (Vnukovo Airport)
- Moscow (Domodedovo Airport)
- Moscow (Sheremetyevo Airport)
- Nizhny Novgorod (Strigino Airport)
- Rostov-on-Don (Platov Airport)
- Samara (Kurumoch Airport)
- Saint Petersburg (Pulkovo Airport)
III. Sea border crossings
- Bolshoi Port, Saint Petersburg
- Passenger Port, Saint Petersburg
Individuals can claim a tax refund within a year after the purchase provided that the goods are exported within three months from the purchase date.
For more details, please contact Tax Free operators in Russia: